Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Night Visitor at the Pond

It was dark about 7:30 last Saturday night when I peered out the window and turned on the pond lights. I was surprised to see a giant owl sitting on the side of the large pond. He looked around at me and then took off to the top of one of the light poles. He paused there a minute (time enough to call my wife so she could see him) and then acting somewhat frustrated by my interference flew into the woods. He must have been doing some night fishing at the pond. I can't tell if his fishing trip was successful but the spot where he was sitting was very wet. So it appears we have a hawk in the daytime and an owl at night and the shiny tape I put up to scare them is ineffective. On another note, I added a dozen Water Hyacnith and some duckweed to the pond. If all goes well the Water Hyacinth will start to grow and spread as the water temp gets warmer. When mature, they have purple flowers that add some color to the pond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home