Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Attack of the String Algae

The string algae has been getting worse and my wife reminded me that I should be using Barley straw pads in the pond. Barley straw is helpful in treating water to reduce the growth of string algae and I hadn't put in a new pad since last spring. So off to Petsmart to buy a pack. I put two pads in the large pond and one in the small pond. Each pad is susposed to treat up to 700 gallons for 3 or 4 months. While I was at it, I cleaned the pumps and filters and picked out a bunch of leaves. The weather was perfect, about 60 degrees with the water temp about 55 degrees. It has been so warm, the Daffodils and Tulips are poping up in all the planting areas. The plants will get a real shock as it is susposed to get much colder next week. To top off the day, I moved 10 fish from the large pond to the small pond. That was enough for one day. We'll see if the string algae decreases. This was originally posted on Feb 4th but disappeared so here it is again.

1 Comments:

Blogger roybe said...

I've found the barley straw quite successful.Once I cleaned and scraped the existing string algae off, it seems to have kept it clear. The liquid didn't seem to work but the bale did.

4/16/2006 06:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home