Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Massacre at the Pond

A sad time Sunday afternoon when checking the pond, there appeared to be some fish parts floating on the surface. Upon closer inspection, I could see a goldfish about a foot under water that had been torn. His head was almost detached from the body. I pulled him out for a closer look but was unable to determine what caused his demise. It really looks like a predator attacked him but dropped him before finishing the meal or taking him home for the predator family meal. I don't know how long he was dead but it appeared to happen that day with the body parts floating on the surface. All seemed calm tonight with the other fish.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

I read the history of your pond from the very beginning. We have been laying out a plan for a garden and we have thought about including a pond. I can't decide if the work involved will outweight the benefits but my guess is it will. Our pond would be much smaller but I think we will enjoy it nevertheless. Hope you solve that hawk problem soon! Thanks for the inspiration.

1/25/2006 06:09:00 AM  
Blogger homepond said...

Tina,

We started with a small pond 90 gallons but we enjoyed it so much, we build the larger one 750 gallons a little over a year later. It is a lot of work especially with my homemade filter but is a pleasure most of the time.

1/25/2006 06:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home