Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hawk Repeller Ideas


I have installed two new Hawk repeller ideas. My research has indicated that hawks don't like shiny moving stuff. With this in mind, I have hung 2 inch wide strips of shiny tape from the lights and trees around the pond. In addition, I have located a shiny whirlygig next to the Egret sculpture.
These additions to the pondscape are pretty ugly but I feel some responsibility to try to protect the fish from being dinner for a huge bird. Although I have an abundance of fish and great respect for the normal activity of mother nature, I think of these fish as pets. The pond may actually be a threat to the hawk since it may be too easy for him to fill his belly and if the pond is closed, he'll have to learn to hunt all over again. And I'd hate for him to starve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home