Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Preparation for Large Pond Cleaning Step Two

Last week I set up the temporary accomodations for the fish while the large pond is being cleaned. This week I set up a temporary pond for all the plants. I made a 2X4 frame and lined it with an old waterbed bladder I have been holding onto for 20 years. It is quite interesting to remember the comfort and challenges of a waterbed although I really don't miss it. I figured I'd find a use for this blue liner sometime.
I decided a month ago that I needed more space to house our plants over the winter. We always bring most of the plants into the house over the winter but the plant population has exploded this summer so we don't have enough space. So I have been building a 5 foot wide by 2 foot by 7 feet tall greenhouse on the south side of the house. The perfect spot I think) is between the fireplace and the house so I have some brick mass to absorb heat during the day.
Remember my post about the 3 frogs making eggs on August 30: well the eggs have hatched and the tadpoles are doing very well. There are a bunch of them and they are growing quickly. One problem is the puppy likes to drink out of the pan so some of the tadpoles may have become dog chow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home