Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Testing New Filter PondMaster 1000

I have been pondering a complete cleaning of the large pond this fall but I was scared the fish wouldn't last that long with the acculation of debris in the pond. I bought a PondMaster 1000 filter that I attached in front of the pump on the bottom of the pond. I have had it running about 10 days and I think the pond is noticible clearer. This filter catches debris from the water before it is pumped into the large waterfall filter. I have been cleaning the PondMaster 1000 daily to remove as much junk as possible and it seems to be working. The plan I am considering for the major cleaning is to buy a 150 gallon Rubbermaid Stock tank and set it up as a holding pond for all the fish, frogs, plants and other wildlife. I'll put a fountain and aerator in the tank for the fish. Then the fun begins, draining the large pond and capturing the wildlife as the water recedes. Once drained clean out all the junk and put it back together, refill it and let it sit for a day before adding the wildlife. As part of this I am considering redesigning the filter system to better handle the waste load from so many fish. I haven't figured out a new design but I'm thinking about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home