Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Saturday, October 02, 2010

Turtle Egg Update


Four months ago in late May my posts described two giant turtles laying eggs in our yard. One in the front yard and one in the back yard. We expected the eggs to take about three months to hatch so we have been checking the nests every day. A few days ago I noticed a hole in one of the nests that appeared to be pushed up from below. The same appeared the next day on the other nest. Today I dug them up to see if the eggs had really hatched and the babies ran for the woods. I found a bunch of empty egg shells so I assume the babies did hatch and are in the woods setting up a new turtle life. This week we had 11 1/2 inches of rain so at least the turtles won't be thirsty.

3 Comments:

Blogger zerojails said...

what are those turtles doing in your backyard anyway? :D

10/03/2010 10:53:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love turtles! Check out my Pond Building Tips

10/03/2010 10:59:00 PM  
Blogger pilgrim said...

You have a magic back garden! I hike often and the number of smaller creatures we come accross regularly is pretty amazing. Last week we encountered a boomslang (a venomous snake that you do NOT want to get too close to..) and a tiny little rain frog that puffs himself up to double his size when threatened. So I totally get your love for the inhabitants of your garden!

10/11/2010 11:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home