Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

What's Worse Than a Predator Eating Goldfish?


As sad as it is when a predator takes and eats the Goldfish, it is worse when they don't finish the job. In this instance, I was looking around the pond a couple of days ago and spotted a Goldfish in the grass about five feet from the large pond. This poor fish hadn't been there too long because he didn't seem to be totally dead. I put him back in the pond to try to to revive him. His mouth moved and the gills tried to get started but it was too late. This guy was 8 inches long and I know he didn't jump five feet out of the pond. With that I decided a predator captured him from the pond and for some reason - dropped him and moved on. Quite a waste of a great looking fish. The same day on the other side of the yard we found an egg on the yard with a bird embryo laying next to it. It appeared to me that yet another predator hadn't completed his job. Very sad day for the critters.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Stumbled upon your blog today as I was searching for other homeowners with ponds. I am surprised at the amount of wildlife your pond attracts!

Last fall we bought a house with a badly constructed and neglected pond. Since I am new to ponds and wanted a jump start, I hired someone to scrap it and start over. They just began work Tues. and am eager to see the progress being made each day.

I have so much to learn and your blog is very helpful, especially the pictures.

Phil

6/09/2010 07:46:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home