Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Unexpected Ferret Rescue

I received quite an unpleasant shock this morning when I left at 7 am to go to the local store and buy a newspaper. Some misguided person had abandoned two Ferrets in this small cage at the end of our road. I continued on to the store hoping they would return for these little critters. Upon my return 15 minutes later, a light rain was starting to fall but now the cage was covered by some old newspapers. I figure the local paper carrier had seen the cage on her rounds and covered it to keep the rain off. I couldn't leave them on the road, so I brought them to the garage. To be honest, I didn't even know they were Ferrets so the Internet provided that detail to me. We went to Petco to find out how to care for them and where to get rid of them They were extremely nice giving us the phone number for Ferret Rescue and some Ferret food for their temporary room and board. (These pets aren't cheap $129.95) We cleaned the nasty, stinky cage and set up lodging for them in the small crate we used for our Great Dane when he was a puppy. This cage was huge compared to their little cage. Two pm arrived without a callback from Ferret Rescue so I called the local animal shelter, The Heritage Humane Society and they said they would be happy to take the little guys. We arrived at the Humane Society where we met the game warden who said she got a call from a very upset newspaper carrier about these Ferrets being abandoned but of course they weren't on the road when she came to look for them because I had picked them up. All in all it turned out pretty good for the Ferrets and even though there was one creep there were a bunch of other people willing to help.
This is now the third anniversary of my Homepond Blog, the first post was in August 2005 about the Bullfrog that lives in the large pond. I have been surprised that someone with as few words as I have hasn't run out of things to write about yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home