Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

New Baby Frog, Algae, Tadples, Lily and Elephant Ears





While planting some butterfly bushes today we found this little frog in the dirt. He looks a lot like the silver frog I talked about in my post a couple of weeks ago. You can get a pretty good look at the long toes on his back feet. I imagine they are used for holding on when he is climbing.

Our first Lily bloomed this week but I must say it is not very impressive.

Got a good picture of the tadpoles in the small pond as they continue to grow. I have started seeing some small back legs on some of them so we should have the march of the baby frogs within the next month.

Here is a view of one of the kinds of algae we have in the pond. This one is geometric in design and comes in the flat shape like you see in the picture. It also comes in a tubular shape floating around the pond. In addition to this algae, we have string algae and some nasty looking floating algae.

A month ago, I started replanting the Elephant Ear bulbs I dug up last fall and I finally finished the last batch yesterday. Everything I read said these bulbs needed to be dug up and replanted every year, but last fall I didn't dig up a number of the bulbs to see if they could survive. I'm please to say many of them are already poping up and growing which is more than I can say for the bulbs I planted a month ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home