Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

May Apples and Stunning Lilies

On April 22 I posted a picture of what I called a May Flower but it is really a May Apple. Now I know because here is a picture of the fruit the plant produces. The May Apple produces two large leaves that umbrella a white flower lower on the stem. After a couple of months some of them produce a small green apple like fruit.

I think this is the best year yet for our lilies - they are producing giant blooms day after day creating a stunning backdrop to the end of the pond. Last week I put two new Barley pads in the pond and this week the string algae is very much reduced. There is still a good supply of nasty looking brown algae so I put in one more Barley pad today to see if it helps.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a longtime gardener but new to ponds. I bought some barley pads last week because our rather shallow pond was beginning to look murky and nasty in our very warm weather.

Our pond is brand-new concrete and we are still letting the lime leach out so we don't have any plants or fish yet.

I was very happy to see the barley pads work as advertized. In about a week the water is wonderfully clear.

mss @ Zanthan Gardens

8/14/2007 04:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home