Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Frogs and Wildlife Galore

This year has been particularly active with deer. We see them almost every day and they have been eating plants in the front yard that they never touched before. It may be that a large construction project nearby has chased them our way or removed some of their normal diet. I just can't imagine what the deer would do to the pondscape if the pond wasn't fenced in the backyard.
It is really amazing how patient the frogs are with me. This tree frog on the side of the shed sat still while I took 5 pictures. This green frog we found sitting in a pot in the pond allowed me to take 6 pictures until he'd has enough and he jumped onto a Water Hyacinth and then into the pond. I can almost hear the frogs say here comes the shutterbug again.
Last night while minding my own business watching TV, a large yellow cat walked by the on the deck. Upon closer inspection, this cat had no tags so I think he is a wild cat. I now wonder if he has also been fishing in the pond. If he has, I may have misjudged the Hawk and Owl. With all these preditors I guess I'm lucky to have any fish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home