Backyard Pond

Discussion of backyard pond, frogs, goldfish and plants.

Friday, October 28, 2005

The Water is Getting Cold

This is a tough time of year at the pond. The plants don't look as good and almost all the blooms are gone. The trees are losing their leaves trashing the pond so I spend too much time picking out as many leaves as possible so they don't ruin the water quality. The water temperature is under 60 degrees which means the fish spend almost all of their time sleeping on the bottom. No more voracious attacks when I throw in the food. I've gone from 3 feeding a day to 1. The frogs have gone to hibernate. My wife has caught a glimpse of the hawk a couple of times and one day smelled fish around the pond, which concerned her that he got another fish. We still have the net over the pond which I hate because it destroys the view and makes it hard to play in the water. Today we spent about 3 hours moving the plants that can't take the coming freeze back into the house. The house plants love to spend time outside but it sure is a chore moving them back and forth. We started working on some Christmas gifts today.

1 Comments:

Blogger Susan Evans said...

I love your site ... my brother has had a pond for years and I know how much joy it has brought him.

But what I really want to know is "what gifts are you making for Christmas?"

11/04/2005 03:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home